Main Article Content
The recent globalisation and the emergency of COVID-19 require a teaching and learning environment that encourages the use of technology. Through a mixed-method design and an action research approach, this study investigated the effectiveness of a flipped classroom model through multimedia technology in improving students’ performance in directed numbers, given the difficulty and misconceptions of students in this mathematical concept. A total of 30 Year 9 students conveniently sampled from one of the secondary schools in Brunei Darussalam served as participants. The action taken involved a pretest, intervention, posttest, and interviews. The results of the paired sample t-test revealed that students’ performance in directed numbers significantly improved after the flipped classroom intervention. Students had positive perceptions of the flipped classroom model as it encouraged their readiness, participation, and motivation. Challenges such as time constraints and distractions when studying from home were reported. These results imply that amid COVID-19, a flipped classroom through multimedia technology can be an effective and alternative way of teaching and learning directed numbers. It has the potential of encouraging student-centred learning and creativity, which are vital in teaching and learning mathematics.
Academic performance Brunei Darussalam Directed numbers Flipped classroom model Multimedia technology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Abdurasulovich, K. J., Abdurasulovich, K., Yangiboevich, K., Anvarovich, A., & Xolmurodovich, G. (2020). Opportunities and results to increase the effectiveness of multimedia teaching in higher education. Journal of Critical Reviews, 7(14), 89-93.
- Aprianto, E., Purwati, O., & Anam, S. u. (2020). Multimedia-assisted learning in a flipped classroom: A case study of autonomous learning on EFL university students. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (iJET), 15(24), 114-127. https://doi.org/10.3991/ijet.v15i24.14017
- Ash, K. (2012). Educators view flipped model with a more critical eye. Education Week, 32(2), S6-S7.
- Avison, D. E., Lau, F., Myers, M. D., & Nielsen, P. A. (1999). Action research. Communications of the ACM, 42(1), 94-97. https://doi.org/10.1145/291469.291479
- Baker, J. W. (2000). The â€œClassroom Flipâ€, Using web course management tools to become the guide by the side. The 11th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville.
- Balu, A. (2020). Contribution of multimedia technology in education. International journal of multidisciplinary educational research, 9(2), 127-131.
- Bishop, J., & Verleger, M. A. (2013). The flipped classroom: A survey of the research. In 2013 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. https://doi.org/10.18260/1-2--22585
- Bofferding, L. (2014). Negative Integer Understanding: Characterizing First Graders' Mental Models. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education JRME, 45(2), 194-245. https://doi.org/10.5951/jresematheduc.45.2.0194
- Botha-Ravyse, C., & Reitsma, G. (2015). Multi-media for flipped classrooms: Engaged nutrition learning in a multi-media enhanced flipped classroom. Progressio, 37(1), 19-32. https://doi.org/10.25159/0256-8853/570
- Braun, V., & Clarke, V. (2012). Thematic analysis. In H. Cooper, P. M. Camic, D. L. Long, A. T. Panter, D. Rindskopf, & K. J. Sher (Eds.), APA handbook of research methods in psychology, Vol. 2. Research designs: Quantitative, qualitative, neuropsychological, and biological (pp. 57-71). American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/13620-004
- Busebaia, T. J. A., & John, B. (2020). Can flipped classroom enhance class engagement and academic performance among undergraduate pediatric nursing students? A mixed-methods study. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, 15(1), 4. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41039-020-0124-1
- Cevikbas, M., & Kaiser, G. (2020). Flipped classroom as a reform-oriented approach to teaching mathematics. Zdm, 52(7), 1291-1305. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11858-020-01191-5
- Chong, W., Shahrill, M., Asamoah, D., & Latif, S. (2022). Non-digital card game and year 8 studentsâ€™ performance in integers. Journal of Mathematics and Science Teacher, 2(1), em007. https://doi.org/10.29333/mathsciteacher/11928
- Coman, E., Picho, K., McArdle, J., Villagra, V., Dierker, L., & Iordache, E. (2013). The paired t-test as a simple latent change score model [Opinion]. Frontiers in psychology, 4. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00738
- Creswell, J. W., & Creswell, J. D. (2017). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. Sage publications.
- Dominic-Ugwu, B., & Nonyelum, O. F. (2019). The assessment of multimedia technology in the teaching of mathematics in secondary schools in Abuja-Nigeria. International Journal of Modern Education and Computer Science, 11(6), 8-18. https://doi.org/10.5815/ijmecs.2019.06.02
- Ferreri, S. P., & Oâ€™Connor, S. K. (2013). Redesign of a large lecture course into a small-group learning course. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 77(1), 13. https://doi.org/10.5688/ajpe77113
- Fisher, M. J., & Marshall, A. P. (2009). Understanding descriptive statistics. Australian Critical Care, 22(2), 93-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aucc.2008.11.003
- Fuadiah, N. F., & Suryadi, D. (2017). Some Difficulties in Understanding Negative Numbers Faced by Students: A Qualitative Study Applied at Secondary Schools in Indonesia. International Education Studies, 10(1), 24-38. https://doi.org/10.5539/ies.v10n1p24
- Fulton, K. (2012). The flipped classroom: Transforming education at Byron High School: A Minnesota high school with severe budget constraints enlisted YouTube in its successful effort to boost math competency scores. The Journal, 39(3), 18-20.
- Hamid, M. H. S., Shahrill, M., Matzin, R., Mahalle, S., & Mundia, L. (2013). Barriers to mathematics achievement in Brunei secondary school students: Insights into the roles of mathematics anxiety, self-esteem, proactive coping, and test stress. International Education Studies, 6(11), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.5539/ies.v6n11p1
- Herreid, C. F., & Schiller, N. A. (2013). Case studies and the flipped classroom. Journal of College Science Teaching, 42(5), 62-66. http://www.jstor.org/stable/43631584
- Hew, K. F., & Lo, C. K. (2018). Flipped classroom improves student learning in health professions education: a meta-analysis. BMC Medical Education, 18(1), 38. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-018-1144-z
- Jamaludin, R., & Osman, S. Z. M. (2014). The use of a flipped classroom to enhance engagement and promote active learning. Journal of Education and Practice, 5(2), 124-131.
- Jamil, H., Ramli, H. M., & Leong, E. (2022). Advocating blended learning for university undergraduate level mathematical instruction beyond COVID-19. In S. A. Abdul Karim & S. A. Husain (Eds.), Engineering and Sciences Teaching and Learning Activities: New Systems Throughout COVID-19 Pandemics (pp. 33-45). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-79614-3_4
- Japar, I., Asamoah, D., & Shahrill, M. (2021). Addressing student learning gaps in fractions: How effective is synchronous video conferencing? Jurnal Pendidikan Matematika, 16(1), 103-120. https://doi.org/10.22342/jpm.16.1.17027.103-120
- Jenkins, C. (2012). The advantages and disadvantages of the flipped classroom. The Lecture Tools Blog, Posted by Chelsea Jenkins.
- Johari, P. M. A. R. P., & Shahrill, M. (2020). The common errors in the learning of the simultaneous equations [Simultaneous equations; Errors; Misconceptions; Secondary Mathematics; Brunei Darussalam]. Infinity Journal, 9(2), 263-274. https://doi.org/10.22460/infinity.v9i2.p263-274
- JovanoviÄ‡, J., GaÅ¡eviÄ‡, D., Dawson, S., Pardo, A., & Mirriahi, N. (2017). Learning analytics to unveil learning strategies in a flipped classroom. The Internet and Higher Education, 33, 74-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2017.02.001
- Kaleem, F., Jacobson, D. W., & Khan, F. (2016). Comparison of traditional, flipped, and hybrid teaching methods in an electrical engineering circuit analysis course. In 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans. https://doi.org/10.18260/p.26540
- Lamb, L. L., Pierson Bishop, J., Philipp, R. A., Schappelle, B. P., Whitacre, I., & Lewis, M. (2012). Informing Practice: Developing Symbol Sense for the Minus Sign: research matters for teachers. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 18(1), 5-9. https://doi.org/10.5951/mathteacmiddscho.18.1.0005
- Latif, A., Waznah, S., Matzin, R., Jawawi, R., Mahadi, M. A., Jaidin, J. H., Mundia, L., & Shahrill, M. (2017). Implementing the flipped classroom model in the teaching of history. Journal of Education and Learning, 11(4), 374-381. https://doi.org/10.11591/edulearn.v11i4.6390
- Latif, S. N. A. (2021). Standardised testing and studentsâ€™ wellbeing: A global or local problem? In P. Le Ha, A. Kumpoh, K. Wood, R. Jawawi, & H. Said (Eds.), Globalisation, Education, and Reform in Brunei Darussalam (pp. 197-215). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-77119-5_10
- Levison, M. (2016). Challenges faced by Z.J.C. pupils in the learning of directed numbers: A case study. Dissertation. Bindura University of Science Education, Zimbabwe. Retrieved from https://elibrary.buse.ac.zw/bitstream/123456789/5535/1/Levison%20eDU..pdf
- Lin, P.-C., & Chen, H.-M. (2016). The effects of flipped classroom on learning effectiveness: using learning satisfaction as the mediator. World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, 14(2), 231-244.
- Makonye, J. P., & Fakude, J. (2016). A study of errors and misconceptions in the learning of addition and subtraction of directed numbers in grade 8. SAGE Open, 6(4), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244016671375
- Manjanai, S., & Shahrill, M. (2016). Introducing the flipped classroom strategy in the learning of year nine factorization. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Educational Studies, 11(4), 35-55. https://doi.org/10.18848/2327-011X/CGP/v11i04/35-55
- Math Antics. (2014). Math antics â€“ adding and subtracting integers. Available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BgblvF90UE
- Math Antics. (2014). Math antics â€“ negative numbers. Available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAoLCXpao6s
- Matzin, R., Shahrill, M., Mahalle, S., Hamid, M. H. S., & Mundia, L. (2013). A comparison of learning styles and study strategies scores of Brunei secondary school students by text anxiety, success attributions, and failure attributions: Implications for teaching at-risk and vulnerable students. Review of European Studies, 5(5), 119-127. https://doi.org/10.5539/res.v5n5p119
- Mazur, E. (2009). Farewell, Lecture? Science, 323(5910), 50-51. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1168927
- Mertler, C. A. (2013). Classroom-based action research: revisiting the process as customizable and meaningful professional development for educators. Journal of pedagogic development, 3(3), 38-42. http://hdl.handle.net/10547/335968
- Moravec, M., Williams, A., Aguilar-Roca, N., & O'Dowd, D. K. (2010). Learn before lecture: A strategy that improves learning outcomes in a large introductory biology class. CBEâ€”Life Sciences Education, 9(4), 473-481. https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.10-04-0063
- Nawi, N. a., Jawawi, R., Matzin, R., Jaidin, J. H., Shahrill, M., & Mundia, L. (2015). To flip or not to flip: The challenges and benefits of using flipped classroom in geography lessons in Brunei Darussalam. Review of European Studies, 7(12), 133-145. https://doi.org/10.5539/res.v7n12p133
- Nielsen, P. L., Bean, N. W., & Larsen, R. A. A. (2018). The impact of a flipped classroom model of learning on a large undergraduate statistics class. Statistics Education Research Journal, 17(1), 121-140. https://doi.org/10.52041/serj.v17i1.179
- Oliveira, L. (2018). Flipping the classroom with multimedia resources to regulate learning pace: A case study Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Technological Ecosystems for Enhancing Multiculturality, Salamanca, Spain. https://doi.org/10.1145/3284179.3284311
- Pierce, R., & Fox, J. (2012). vodcasts and active-learning exercises in a â€œflipped classroomâ€ model of a renal pharmacotherapy module. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 76(10), 196. https://doi.org/10.5688/ajpe7610196
- Qader, R. O., & Yalcin Arslan, F. (2019). The effect of flipped classroom instruction in writing: A case study with Iraqi EFL learners. Teaching English with Technology, 19(1), 36-55. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1204642.pdf
- Rajendra, I. M., & Sudana, I. M. (2018). The influence of interactive multimedia technology to enhance achievement students on practice skills in mechanical technology. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 953(1), 012104. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/953/1/012104
- Rosli, S., Shahrill, M., & Yusof, J. (2020). Applying the hybrid strategy in solving mathematical word problems at the elementary school level [Mathematics, word problems, hybrid strategy, errors, visual representations]. Journal of Technology and Science Education, 10(2), 216-230. https://doi.org/10.3926/jotse.965
- Salam, N. H. A., & Shahrill, M. (2014). Examining classroom interactions in secondary mathematics classrooms in Brunei Darussalam. Asian Social Science, 10(11), 92-103. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v10n11p92
- Sarwadi, H. R. H., & Shahrill, M. (2014). Understanding studentsâ€™ mathematical errors and misconceptions: The case of year 11 repeating students. Mathematics Education Trends and Research, 2014, 1-10.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2016). Research methods for business students (7th ed.). Pearson.
- Say, F. S., & Yildirim, F. S. (2020). Flipped classroom implementation in science teaching. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 7(2), 606-620.
- Shahrill, M. (2018). Teachersâ€™ devotion to review lessons: Insights to the mathematics lessons in Brunei Darussalam. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1028, 012158. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1028/1/012158
- Shahrill, M., Noorashid, N., & Keasberry, C. (2021). COVID-19: Educational practices and responses in Brunei Darussalam. In P. Le Ha, A. Kumpoh, K. Wood, R. Jawawi, & H. Said (Eds.), Globalisation, Education, and Reform in Brunei Darussalam (pp. 325-354). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-77119-5_16
- Shahrill, M., Petra, M. I., Naing, L., Yacob, J., Santos, J. H., & Abdul Aziz, A. B. Z. (2021). New norms and opportunities from the COVID-19 pandemic crisis in a higher education setting: Perspectives from Universiti Brunei Darussalam. International Journal of Educational Management, 35(3), 700-712. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEM-07-2020-0347
- Sirakaya, D. A., & Ozdemir, S. (2018). The effect of a flipped classroom model on academic achievement, self-directed learning readiness, motivation and retention. Malaysian Online Journal of Educational Technology, 6(1), 76-91. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1165484.pdf
- Stratton, E., Chitiyo, G., Mathende, A. M., & Davis, K. M. (2020). Evaluating flipped versus face-to-face classrooms in middle school on science achievement and student perceptions. Contemporary Educational Technology, 11(1), 131-142. https://doi.org/10.30935/cet.646888
- Strelan, P., Osborn, A., & Palmer, E. (2020). The flipped classroom: A meta-analysis of effects on student performance across disciplines and education levels. Educational Research Review, 30, 100314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2020.100314
- Toh, T., Tengah, K., Shahrill, M., Tan, A., & Leong, E. (2017). The flipped classroom strategy: The effects of implementation at the elementary school level mathematics lessons. In Proceeding of the 3rd International Conference on Education. https://doi.org/10.17501/icedu.2017.3120
- Vlassis, J. (2008). The role of mathematical symbols in the development of number conceptualization: The case of the minus sign. Philosophical Psychology, 21(4), 555-570. https://doi.org/10.1080/09515080802285552
- Yohannes, H. M. G., Bhatti, A. H., & Hasan, R. (2016). Impact of multimedia in teaching mathematics. International Journal of Mathematics Trends and Technology, 39(1), 80-83. https://doi.org/10.14445/22315373/IJMTT-V39P510
- Zakaria, E., Solfitri, T., Daud, Y., & Abidin, Z. Z. (2013). Effect of cooperative learning on secondary school studentsâ€™ mathematics achievement. Creative Education, 4(2), 98-100. https://doi.org/10.4236/ce.2013.42014